DOWNTOWN FIRE: Another fire in a downtown Bluffton apartment
June 26, 2013
Multiple fire departments were fighting a fire that started in an apartment in the 100 block of West Perry Street Wednesday afternoon. The fire started shortly after noon, and firefighters were still battling the blaze at 2:25 p.m. No one was apparently injured; No official cause has been stated. Tenant Lawrence Dishong, who lives in Apt. 105, said he was coming home when a man staying with him, Joe, ran down from the upstairs portion of the apartment and said a fire had started. Dishong then entered the apartment, “and the next thing I know, smoke is coming down the stairs,” he said. “It started choking me.” “I lost everything.” Dishong said he ran to the News-Banner across the alley and called 911. He then returned to alert other tenants and find his dog, Tiny Man. “I didn’t want anyone hurt,” Dishong said. The landlord, Al Ringger, said five people lived in the four apartments. Dishong said Joe, whose last name he couldn’t spell, ran from the apartment to the west. The fire blocked Main Street between Wabash and Market. As of 2:45 p.m., the road was still blocked.